Monday, August 30, 2004

Of Dad and Homebrew

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
Benjamin Franklin

A few weeks ago, my wife and I spent some time with my Dad and my step-mom in their mountaintop home. We enjoyed ourselves and we soaked in the view of the beautiful So Cal mountain ranges and quaint feel of the “down town” area near their house. It was a true retreat, a chance to get away from all the stuff that clutters my mind here on the coast.

After returning to life in the city I got to thinking about the times I’ve had to spend with my dad and my step-mom over the past year and it made me sad to realize that it has been well over a year since we last visited them at their house. I mean, we see them about once a month or so but usually it’s somewhere "off the hill". These visits usually revolve around some family function like a birthday, a graduation, anniversary or, lately, funerals. We never seem to visit them just to visit them.

Well, by this point my brain was in the groove for thinking deeply about life, the universe and everything and I’m pretty sure that this is what lead me to thinking about the batch of Hefeweizen homebrewed beer my dad and I “put down” during our last visit.

To "put down" a batch of Hefeweizen homebrewed beer, as I’ve learned, involves several steps and a good amount of time. You must sterilize your equipment, boil your water and malt extract and then let it simmer with the hops. You add this, that and the other thing over time then you bring the whole concoction to a boil and then simmer it down again, removing the foam and then simmer it some more. Eventually, after a few more steps like adding the yeast and even more water (I’ve left these out to spare you), you cover the whole mix and let it sit and ferment for about two or three weeks. The beer will then need to be bottled for a further fermentation and “mellowing” process and should be ready to drink sometime in October.

As we were doing all this, I was thinking that it takes a lot of work and patience to make a good beer. You have to be committed through to the end product. You must take the work seriously because even the slightest contamination or misstep could ruin some two to three months of work (or more depending on what kind of beer you’re making). In short, shoddy work makes for shoddy beer, but give it a little TLC and you can literally taste the difference.

This whole process inspired me to think about the manner in which I approach my relationship with my dad and I drew a comparison: A good relationship, as in a good beer, is a labor of love. There are parts that are easy and totally fun to take part in. There are also parts that are tedious and less enjoyable than others. Still, in the end it’s the fruit of the labor (or, where beer is concerned, the fermentation of the labor) that makes it all worthwhile. A relationship that is cared for and tended to has much to give in return. There’s not much to say about a relationship that is neglected.

Well, Dad and I won’t be able to drink this batch of beer for a while yet, but that didn’t stop us from cracking open a few cold ones later on that day. We sat out on his deck (which I helped him build, now that I’m thinking about it) and discussed the stuff of life. Some big topics and some not so big…. The sun went down and we continued our conversation well into the evening. It was a great day and I think that this batch of homebrew is going to turn out nicely.

9 Comments:

Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

Ian, this is the stuff of journals (blogs) that makes wadeing through all the crap (also known as my own site) worth while. It was great to be there with you (vicariously obviously) and enjoy this time with your dad. To be honest I have never had "this" kind of conversation with my dad, talking about the "stuff of life" as you put it, being "real" with my dad. Thank you for shareing this and now I have some thinking and praying to do (no not for your beer habbit) on how I might enjoy time with my father in such way, and what it might look like.

9:01 PM  
Blogger KMJ said...

This was wonderful. Thank you. :)

9:13 PM  
Blogger FunKiller said...

Ian, this post was worth the wait. I have often thought of good beer as metaphor for all that is good in life...but I digress. I'm glad for you and the time you have with your dad. As one who never had an opportunity to talk the 'stuff of life' with my dad as an adult I encourage you to grab hold of those opportunities and make them happen whenever possible, to work beyond any obstacle and nurture one another. Peace brother.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Seth T. Hahne said...

When I put down a Hefeweizen homebrewed beer, it usually goes something like this: "You call yourself a beer? I wish you had never been born! YOu're flat, you're nasty, you're bitter and washed up, AND you're so very far from hip that it makes the Silver Bullet look like the beer of the elites! You sicken me. Now, outta my sight!" And then i let Johnny drink it.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Tenax said...

Ian,

I love your desriptions of the other blogs incidentally; no one has called me Troy Boy in many a year.

This is a wonderful post about a wonderful day. Like some of the others who've commented, I don't know if I ever had a day like this with my dad. We did do things together sometimes when I was young, a teenager, but he was so distant, so withdrawn. So I don't think I can say I ever had a time like this with my own father, and that is sad.

But I know I've had times like this with my stepson Mikey. Not as many as I want, though I'm getting better at adjusting to his pre-teen sports fanatic outlook. Just yesterday we had part one of the 'sex talk' and it was beautiful. Does it usually go so well? I don't know. But I was able to tell him that sex is about being close to someone else, and that is the kind of thing I think he'll remember through his life. So while I can't look back to my own father, I can look forward to the effect I'll have on my son's life, and that does give me hope.

t

12:43 PM  
Blogger ironsulfide said...

To All - Thanks for the comments both serious and humorous. It makes me happy to hear that I had an impact. Peas.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Son, I hope this gets through since I've never done anything like this before -- aren't you impressed that I'm overcoming my paranoia. Of course, this is being published anonymously -- I hope! But, alas, there's no privacy on the internet.

I was super impressed with your prose about puttin' down a batch, I thought that I'd let you know that it's bottled an' gettin' mellow as we speak (metaphorically, that is.)

I cheated this last weekend and took one of the smaller bottles, stuck it in the fridge over night and then cracked it open. I was curious experience what my/our first attempt at Hefeweizen was developing in to.

Yes, it's still green! But, it's BEER! Damn good too!
I think it must be the TLC that we applied together. And, after all, there's no real no substitute for that.

I love you, Son! And, that makes our effort and product all the more special. Threes Cheers for good ol' Benjamin Franklin. And Charlie Mopps too-- he's the fellow that invented beer, you know!!

Slainte, Dad

8:19 PM  
Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

how cool to read from dad... I am glad dad made it to post and be a part and know how Ian reflects, upon reading dad's post it is obvious that Ian has talented parents and reflective as well. Knowing his mom pretty good, she always gave me something to think about and seemed genuienly concerned about my life as a friend of Ian, and meeting dad once or twice through the years, and now read his response, has always struck me as a man of his word. You have good lineage my friend, and now it is time for you to write again. To pick up the beer, and sit down at the keys and strike them in a cohernet way...

10:38 AM  
Blogger scooter said...

Brother,
How truly beautiful - from your initial post, through everyone else's responses, to the surprise response from your dad. I believe you have such a rich blessing to have this kind of relationship with your father. What a mighty example to us all. Think of me the next time you crack open a cold one, and I'll do the same up here.

Scooter

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home