Monday, August 16, 2004

I Love You, California!

Incensed and generally worked-up-into-a-huffy-puff by the anti-Californian sentiment that inspired a recent post I decided to see if I could put into words my love for this great Golden State. In my endeavor to express my "Amor de California" I came across the official state song. Please share and enjoy!


I love You California
Written by F. B. Silverwood/Composed by A. F. Frankenstein

I love you, California, you're the greatest state of all
I love you in the winter, summer, spring, and in the fall.
I love your fertile valleys; your dear mountains I adore,
I love your grand old ocean and I love her rugged shore.

I love your redwood forests - love your fields of yellow grain,
I love your summer breezes, and I love your winter rain,
I love you, land of flowers; land of honey, fruit and wine,
I love you, California; you have won this heart of mine.

I love your old gray Missions - love your vineyards stretching far,
I love you, California, with your Golden Gate ajar,
I love your purple sunsets, love your skies of azure blue,
I love you, California; I just can't help loving you.

I love you, Catalina - you are very dear to me,
I love you, Tamalpais, and I love Yosemite,
I love you, Land of Sunshine, half your beauties are untold,
I loved you in my childhood, and I'll love you when I'm old.

When the snow crowned Golden Sierras
Keep their watch o'er the valleys bloom.
It is there I would be in our land by the sea,
Ev'ry breeze bearing rich perfume,
It is here nature gives of her rarest,
It is Home Sweet Home to me.
And I know when I die I shall breathe my last sigh
For my sunny California.

*sniff* and I know that when I die *honk* I shall breathe my last sweet good *sniff* bye for you my sunny California! *sob crumble in a state of wrecked emotion*

2 Comments:

Blogger KMJ said...

I Love You Southern California

I love you, Southern California, you're the greatest *state* of all
I love what you call winter feels the same as spring and fall.

I love you Fountain Valley; your smoggy mountains I adore.
I love your pristine beaches (the toxic run-off I’ll ignore).
I love your flower-children; I love Hollywood and Vine,
I love you, California; you’ve arrested this heart of mine.

I love your metered onramps – I love your carpool lanes,
I love your endless gridlock, and inability to drive in the rain,
I love your greyish sunsets, love your skies of azure brown,
I love you, California; even when my asthma keeps me down.

I love you, Land of Face Lifts, with your beauties bought and sold,
I loved you in my childhood, and I'll love you when I'm chronologically old -
although I will still totally never have wrinkles or cellulite or thin lips or unwaxed legs or natural pigmentation or baggy, saggy parts or anything else that resembles normal age - it just isn't natural!

And I know if I sell my house right now, a mansion I could own
In any place I want, except my sunny California home.

****

Sorry, but it was begging for it. Respectfully, your expatriate Californian friend.

6:24 PM  
Blogger FunKiller said...

Good stuff Ian. I'm glad you get the warm fuzzies about Cali. I still feel stranded here, along with the other 19,000,000 people that live between San Diego and Santa Barbara. Maybe I actually have to leave this state to fall in love with it.

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home