Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Only Now Do I Realize


The Reverend T

This man is (and always has been) a better friend to me than I have been to him. We've known each other for well over 15 years and have been close for most of that time. I have moved from city to city and state to state and despite this fact he has never wavered in his commitment to me as a friend. He truly has been like a brother to me. These days our visits are few and too far between and half the time I don't even return the man's calls but still he hangs in there faithful to the last

Yes, I know that I suck as a friend so don't rub it in!

But now my good friend is moving far far far away and I fear that we well never see each other again. Even though we don't see each other very much at all now it was comforting to know that he was just a hour away and that we "could" spend some time catching up if we wanted to do so. We won't be able to do that anymore.

I think what I am realizing is that I have taken my friendship with The Reverend T for granted and am now having to come to grips with that fact. I am afraid of how our friendship will change now that he lives on the other side of the country (literally) . I am afraid that I may have wasted too much of what was a great friendship and may now have to put up with the annual generic Christmas letter. I know I deserve no more than that.

I don't have any resolution at this moment because I am only just now realizing what I am losing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very strange indeed to head to a website and BAM its you... or I should say it is me... I think I like me in monocrome it kind of hides the grey in the hair... did you know I am at least half and half now... or at least it feels like it, or looks like it... nice to see me hear...

3:17 PM  
Blogger ironsulfide said...

RT, I'm just sad that the latest pic I have of you is one I had to steal off your website! I love you, man!

6:59 PM  
Blogger FunKiller said...

Ian, I spend a lot of time wishing I had done some things differently. Don't spend too much time on that path, it leads to places you're better off not going. I know this much about you and Tim. Three thousand miles will not be enough distance to come between the friendship you've built over the last decade and a half. Temporary regrets are allowable, but putting those regrets into positive change in the future is what defines growth, in friendship and in life. Peace.

9:53 PM  
Blogger melissamae said...

there is a good reason to see a new place...go visit Tim & Jamie and the boys and see exciting new place and have a FREE place to stay!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I went back, or I should say I came back, last night and gave your opus a read... I was moved... truly moved... Our lives have been wonderfully woven together, By no means I would I say you suck as a friend, I know it does nothing to your sense of self worth to hear that, but none the less our friendship has been a growing one, and continues to grow (at least I think it does). If it helps any I don't feel taken advantage of, I feel like I have a great friend that will someday vist South Carolina with his wife (which according to anna sarah you should write about) and 4 girls (that would be part of your fruitful relationship with your wife). Of course some of this is silly, we will see each other, like on July 3rd, and my wife is already talking about comming back OFTEN in the summer time. And now you have more of reason to actually return those calls, or since today is full of caller id you can start picking them up!!

Anyway, you are great friend, great co-work (mosiac or were you dome), and if anything you are the frined that stuck to being my friend even when your better judgement (through highschool) told you not to... Thank you for letting me.. and the rest of the internet world... know how deeply you care and truly a friend you are!! And yes South Carolina (our home) has plenty of rooms to come and stay and hang out for awhile, see the lake (ok we still have to see the lake too, since we were only there for 2 days), enjoy the Carolina sky line and the friendly REAL people, you would fit in great (as would Mike Marano, i believe there is room for you both there... and once you sell your homes... you could buy yours out right and continue to work for the joy of it).

Looking forward to talking to you IN PERSON... FACE TO FACE... and enjoying a diet drink together (sorry man there will be no bathtub beer there)...

6:10 PM  
Blogger Tenax said...

Ian,

oh man, I remember when scooter split how bad I hurt, I kept hoping his trailer full of crap would never make it down the street, and when I left my friend mike d. to move north.

You know, me and mike d. (not of Beastie Boy fame) talk an hour on the phone every week; we leave each other messages on our answering machines (private machines) sometimes every day. I talk to him now more than I did when I lived next door. There is always hope. Sometimes distance makes one appreciate the friendship more.

Be well friend.

t

12:55 PM  
Blogger KMJ said...

There are moves that bring us closer in Spirit than you ever were in physical location. Find those, build them and you will enjoy a renewed friendship, as you never thought possible. :)

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home