Monday, June 21, 2004

On Pre-Fatherhood: getting used to the idea of getting used to the idea

The concept of becoming a father scares me a lot! Not that Case & I are anywhere near the actual "becoming" part, mind you. But we are talking about having kids a heck of a lot more than we used. Well, we talk about the when's, the where's, the how's and why's of it anyway. (And by "how's" I mean finances, so you can just put all those other thoughts out of your little head. Yes, I mean you, Scooter, Mike and Tim!!! I know you guys too well to leave the door swinging wide-open in the breeze.)

Anyway, this talking... Well, it gets me thinking it does. Most of me is thinking that I, in no pickin' way, shape or form, understand what in the H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks I am talking about! I mean, fatherhood?! Isn't that some book that Bill Cosby wrote? Isn't that something for grow-ups to think about. Me? Be a father? Ha, thanks for the laugh.

Still there is that small, tiny little part of me that gets excited when we talk about having kids and longs for that time to come. It reassures me that being a father will move smoothly from the conceptual to the actual just as college graduation and getting married did. It shows me that I will learn to have what it takes and it doesn't really matter that I don't know what I'm doing right now because neither did anyone else at this time in their lives. Most of all it reminds me that I am not alone and that, I think, it the most comforting thought of all.

So, with that said, I came across this article and I hope that I will remember to do all these things when I am a dad.

Now, on the whole topic of what being a husband means, please check out Mike's blog. Mike, I salute you for you nailed it!

5 Comments:

Blogger KMJ said...

Ian, you will be a GREAT dad! You have so much to share with the world... Who else will teach the newest Scottish-American generation pride in their highland heritage (?just guessing), joys of proper kilt-wearing, and power of saying "shah" with mighty conviction, if not you?

7:45 PM  
Blogger ironsulfide said...

Thanks, Karen. I hope you're right. I need some practice w/ said kilt, however. Maybe I can start a new kind of "business casual"? Hmm...

9:31 AM  
Blogger FunKiller said...

Ian,

You will make a great dad. I would'nt worry so much about the becoming part. There is enough to worry about once you become a father, all of which you will handle well. Thanks for sharing this.

Mike

10:48 AM  
Blogger ironsulfide said...

Mike - I'm not worthy!

4:14 PM  
Blogger OutOfTheSilent said...

I am still thinking bout post father hood too Ian...

Hmmm... time with the wife...

Hmmm... more money....

Hmmm... no "real" responsibility....

Hmmm... no diapers....

Hmmm... no car seats....

Hmmm... no whineing...

Hmmm... a clean carpet in car...

Hmmm... long baths....

So the list can go on... but the honest truth is... The kids are worth it... All three... Somehow God allows all those things to come together for some awesome Joy that He has created... I do have to say that 17 years from now will be nice too though...

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home